Our mentors join YOU on YOUR child's team.
Working with you, we strive to find your child a safe, caring, consistent, and compatible adult mentor who will work with you to help your child recognize and fulfill their potential. We carefully screen and select our Bigs and invite those who exemplify the following characteristics into our program.
- Humble, self-aware, empathetic and willing to learn from their Little
- Listen and hold space
- Aren’t interested in SAVING anyone, but rather want to help a young person discover their greatness
- Committed to increasing equity and access for the youth we serve
- Committed to seeing ASSETS/STRENGTHS in another person
- Value lived experience of others
- Willing to be themselves AND encourage a young person to do so too
- Willing to help a young person determine what THEIR version of success may be
- Have made some mistakes, can own them, and learned from them too
- Had a mentor, needed a mentor, or understand privilege and want to help others succeed
- Accountable and consistent
- Care about THEIR community and future generations
- Will be in our market for 14 months or more and can commit to meeting with their Littles 2-4 times each month
- CLICK HERE to learn more about the Community-Based Program.
- Youth must be a minimum of seven (7) years old
- Your child must WANT a mentor as much s you want them to have one
- Families must intend to be in our community for no less than 14 months (min. 45 days for matching and 12 months in the program)
- Beyond 12 months, the mentoring relationship can stay open until your child graduates from high school so long as all parties wish to continue the relationship
- You must agree to coordiante with your child's Big to ensure they are able to meet with your child 2-4 times a month
- You must commit to having a monthly "match support" conversation with BBBSL staff
- Families we enroll complete a 90-minute virtual family interview involving the child's guardiand the the child
BIG Beyond "Scholars"
- If you are interested in learning more about the BIG Beyond Scholar Program serving high school students at James Island Charter High School, CLICK HERE.
Families who believe the Community-Based program is right for their child should CLICK HERE to complete an application.