3/12/20 BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS RESPONSE TO COVID-19
Like so many others, we are taking responsible steps to prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19.
As a Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Lowcountry (BBBSL) stakeholder, we want to communicate openly with you about our procedures and plans in response to the potential presence of COVID-19 in our community.
IN EFFECT NOW:
- Starting today (March 13, 2020), we will temporarily pause the creation of new matches and all scheduled in-person family and volunteer interviews.
- If you have an interview already on the books, please know that it will be delayed and that you will hear from us as soon as full operations resume.
- Please know that we value your applications and that they will remain open and in queue.
HOW DOES THIS IMPACT MY MATCH?
- We request that all Bigs who have active plans to visit their Littles in the coming days to communicate with parents/guardians prior to the meeting to ensure that parents/guardians are still comfortable with the planned outing and meeting location.
- As social distancing becomes more of a consideration, we advise all Bigs, Littles, and families to consider and prioritize their personal health.
- Unless you hear from us otherwise, and should you receive permission from the parent/guardian to do so, BBBSL will permit virtual communication between matches during this period.
- Should one or more of our public school district close, BBBSL will require a temporary suspension of all match activities and outings. Even after schools reopen, matches will not be permitted to meet until BBBSL issues a follow-up email indicating that the program has fully resumed operations.
- Bigs, Littles, and families must comply with this temporary requirement. Our liability insurance and its ability to protect Bigs, Littles, and families depends on full cooperation.
- Please note that all BBBSL staff will work remotely during this time, but will have full access to email and phones.
- Since we are redirecting our efforts toward match support, please anticipate hearing from us in the next few weeks.
- As always, staff are available to support your match and can be reached at (843) 401-3556.
- Monthly agency-sponsored match activities are temporarily suspended.
- We will be making a decision and communicate with you soon regarding the upcoming April 25, 2020 Bowl for Kids’ Sake event.
- Please be sure to review and follow the Center for Disease Control’s recommendations for preventing the spread of illness.
- MUSC is offering free virtual COVID-19 screening in addition to drive through testing site. This drive-through site is in the parking lot of the Citadel Mall campus, outside the MUSC Health West Ashley Medical Pavilion.
- As you’re preparing provisions for your family, Trident United Way’s 2-1-1 Helpline is a resource for active and anticipated needs. Our partners are putting together a community list of additional resources. We will share it with you soon.
We thank everyone for your continued support for our mission to ignite the great power and promise of youth in our community! Please take care of you and yours! We will be in touch again soon.
President & CEO
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Lowcountry